Sunday, November 18, 2012

German Chocolate Cupcakes




This is one of the MOST DELICIOUS cupcakes I have ever eaten. And I have eaten far too many cupcakes to count. The light, airy cupcake is decadently balanced by the rich, creamy coconut and pecan filling. This past summer, I interned for 100 hours with a dietitian in my hometown for one of my nutrition classes. I interned at a nursing home, and I was able to learn so much about gerontology and the diets of the elderly. So anyways, when my internship was coming to a close, I asked Ken (the dietitian) what his favorite desserts were, and the first thing he said was "German Chocolate Cake"! So I decided to turn it into a cupcake (way less messy and more share-able). 


Well, he loved the cupcakes and so did everyone else! I am definitely filing this recipe away for my future cupcake making business. Also, in the photo above, is a mixture of milk (I used 2%) and lemon juice. Buttermilk is so expensive and usually goes to waste at my house, so I just decided to make my own. Much cheaper and better for me!








These cupcakes turned out perfectly! Usually I overfill the cupcake liners, but I managed to do it just right this time. 



To toast the pecans, I just threw them on a baking sheet and placed the sheet in the oven until they smelled fragrant. I chopped the pecans pictured above, but you could also put them in a bag and smash them, which is much quicker.





I completely forgot to take photos when I was assembling the cupcakes because I was already late to work for my last day, but they are so easy to assemble!







Thank you so much for checking out my page! There are many more recipes coming soon!





German Chocolate Cupcakes
adapted from Joy of Baking

makes 24-30 cupcakes

Ingredients
  • 4 ounces (115 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 2 1/4 cups (270 grams) all purpose flour, sifted
  • 3/4 cup (70 grams) unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (240 ml) lukewarm coffee (or water)
  • 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk (or 1 T lemon juice and 1 cup milk)
  • 1 1/4 cups (280 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 1/4 cups (450 grams) granulated white sugar
  • 5 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 or 3 cupcake pans with liners.
  • Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until fully melted. Let cool to room temperature.
  • If you are making your own buttermilk, combine 1 T lemon juice (or vinegar or lime juice) with 1 cup of milk. Let stand for 5-10 minutes and then you're good to go!
  • In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  • In a small bowl, combine the coffee (or water) and buttermilk.
  • In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about three to five minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. Then add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated.
  • Add the coffee/buttermilk mixture and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are mixed together.
  • Fill cupcake liners with the batter (I like to use an ice cream scoop for accuracy). Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.



Coconut Pecan Frosting

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (240 ml) pecans
  • 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
  • 1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
  • 3 large (60 grams) egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from oven, cool, and then chop (reserve about 30 whole pecans to top the cupcake).
  • In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, egg yolks, butter, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, and when the mixture begins to boil and thicken, remove from heat (about 5 minutes). Stir in the chopped pecans, coconut, and vanilla extract. Let cool until spreadable (about 30-60 minutes).

Chocolate Drizzle

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped semi-sweet chocolate
  • enough water to make the chocolate pourable! (start off with 1/4 cup)
Directions
  • Place chocolate and water in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave on 20-30 second intervals, stirring well, until fully melted and drizzle-able! 
  • Place chocolate into a melting/decorating squeeze bottle.

Assembly
  • cut a hole in the center of the cupcakes using a cupcake corer or a knife
  • Spoon coconut filling into cupcakes and onto the top of the cupcake
  • Place a whole roasted pecan on the top of each cupcake
  • Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cupcake
  • Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Photos are amazing, i almost licked my monitor screen! This recipe is definitely worth a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete