Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hot Pink Pound Cake



This week, I decided to make another pound cake since the one I made last week went over so well. I have an absurd amount of food coloring gel, so I figured I'd also dye it hot pink! Sadly, I don't have one of those super cute bundt pans, so I had to bake it in a beat-up, dented, aluminum-looking pan, but it still tastes amazing! I also plan to make this for Breast Cancer awareness events in the future, such as Relay for Life.


Obviously, I first gathered all of my ingredients together and took a cute picture! Pound cakes are really easy to make because they all mix together in one bowl, and they don't require expensive or extravagant ingredients. The only thing about pound cakes is that you have to be really quiet when making them because they will fall in a heartbeat.



I then thoroughly greased and floured my super sketchy dented tube pan!



I creamed the shortening, butter, and Wilton Icing Color together. I wasn't sure when to add the coloring, but I figured I'd just add it at the beginning so I wouldn't have to worry about it later.




Then I added the sugar! The recipe calls for three cups of sugar, so I had to add it in stages.



Finally, the batter is complete!



Then, I used a rubber spatula to scrape the batter into my prepared cake pan; the color is so pretty!



It took about 1 hour and 20 minutes for the pound cake to finish, and I am SOOO glad that the intense thunder didn't cause it to fall. It looks kind of ugly on the outside, but then again, I am going to flip it over so no one will see this side :)













Base recipe via Paula Deen
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter, plus more for pan
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ~3/4 teaspoon of hot pink coloring gel!

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. The website looks great baby! Very professionally done! Can't wait to eat ALL of it! Love you
    -Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so neat! i'm going to show this to people and say look how awesome my best friend is. and your cake did not look beat up, it looks great :)
    love, carrie

    ReplyDelete