Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bread Pudding



I've been babysitting this week, and I've been super busy, so I haven't had a lot of time to think of new dessert ideas, so I decided to go with a recipe I've been making a lot this past year. Bread pudding is a southern comfort food staple, and it also tastes AWESOME! I usually double this recipe and make two because they get eaten fast! This recipe is also really easy to alter- replace the raisins with chocolate chips and throw in some cocoa powder, and you've got chocolate chip bread pudding!


I broke the bread into manageable pieces, drizzled with melted butter, and sprinkled the raisins liberally. If you aren't a fan of raisins, just take them out or add something else in their place :) 


 I mixed the sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together! Beat with a fork right before pouring over the bread to keep everything from separating



I poured the above mixture over the bread and pressed the bread down with a fork to make sure all of the bread got covered. If all of the bread doesn't get covered, it'll brown in the oven and be crunchy.



Sophia, one of my two adorable Boston Terriers, kept barking at me and looking at the oven; I guess she was hungry too :)


The finished product!



Plated :)


Ingredients

  • 6 slices French bread
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk or 1 cup milk & 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • Tear bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan (or really anything you've got; I use a pie dish). Drizzle melted butter over bread, and sprinkle with raisins.
  • In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment