Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chocolate Mousse Filled Cupcakes with Hot Pink Vanilla Buttercream


So, as some of y'all might know, I moved into my dorm at my new college yesterday! It wasn't so bad especially because I only live 25 minutes away, but I am still the sort to get homesick regardless, and moving in to PC when I was a freshman was EXTREMELY hard to get used to for me. I figured that at least some of the new freshman moving in to this area were probably feeling like I did last year, and cupcakes make everyone feel better, so I made some for the people in my dorm! As I type, there are only about 6 out of 24 left on the little side table I put outside my room.


I didn't meticulously plan out this recipe like I usually do my other ones, probably I did something I NEVER do...using a box mix. I am not exactly against eating boxed mixes, I am just not comfortable with the long list of ingredients that I can't understand with ridiculous names. But today I was in a hurry, so I did it anyways. It did turn out well, but I like making them from scratch better, so feel free to substitute your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe.



I don't measure out my food gel, so just dump enough in to make it pretty colored, but not enough in to dye your teeth pink. Oh, and I woke up yesterday morning at 5:00 am, moved to college, and went midnight bowling until 3:00 am, so I was really tired when I got back to my dorm last night. I was woken up 2 hours later by THE LOUDEST BANGING SOUND EVER outside my window for fifteen minutes straight. Apparently the dumpsters (all 5 of them) are right outside my dorm window AND construction is going on as well. I yelled a few choice words, and drove home to sleep. At least I live close.




This little gadget is one of the best inventions ever. It is called a cupcake corer, and you insert it and twist to take out the middle of the cupcake for fillings such as mousse, frosting, jam, etc. I used to just pipe it in through the bottom of the cupcake, but after I had the entire contents of a filled jumbo cupcake fall out on me I decided to just buy this and not take the risk.



Just put the mousse into a pastry bag fitted with a large tip, and fill the hole. I had about 3/4 cup of mousse left over, so fill it the holes as full as you can!


I fitted a pastry bag with a small star tip (next time, I would definitely use a larger tip) and piped the buttercream in a swirl pattern on top.



My cute table and sign! I plan to do this quite a bit during the school year, so be on the lookout.


Chocolate Cupcakes:

...Sadly I used a box mix for this recipe (Betty Crocker), but in my defense I was really tight on time! Substitute with your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe or use a box mix too!

Chocolate Mousse:
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions
  • Whip the cream on high until it forms stiff peaks. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Let cool to room temperature, and fold into whipped cream. Pipe into center of cupcakes.

    Vanilla Buttercream:
    from Food Network

    Ingredients
    • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
    • 1 cup butter
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream

    Directions
    • In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
    • Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment