Monday, August 15, 2011

Kara's Buttermilk Peach Cobbler


Wow, this week has been so busy. Yesterday, (when I normally would've posted this week's recipe) I was on the way to Charleston to take my best friend to college. Putting together a room with all new, pretty stuff is always fun, but the trip was still emotionally exhausting. Plus, it foreshadows my move-in date at my new school this coming Friday, and I am not looking forward for the summer to end. I left my summer job a few days ago, and am working harder than ever on getting my website up and running, and brainstorming ideas for my Etsy store. Within the next month, I will have all sorts of fun things for sale: some handmade, some vintage picks, and photography. The majority of the items will be centered around baking, cooking, and food in general. I'm really excited about the direction that I'm moving in; I just wish that I could do everything at once to get it ready faster! This week's recipe was made with a tiny peach tree that has been growing in my front yard for 5-6 years. The peaches this year were finally edible, so I decided to make something that would showcase them. Oh side note, I just discovered that my college just assigned me a new roommate......four days before I move in. And they already messed up with my supposed-to-be roommate before this with rooming. Fantastic! So they are going to get a piece of my mind at 2:00 when we both go up there. Not to rant, but I am sick of this school messing stuff up for me. Just do your job, PLEASE. Anyways, I didn't have enough milk for the original recipe, so I substituted out some baking soda and buttermilk instead, and it turned out fantastic. You could do this recipe with any sort of stone fruit, but peaches are the best!



Boiling the peaches, then placing them in ice-water is the easiest way to remove the skin.


 


These peaches, probably because they were small peaches from a young tree, weren't quite as sweet as fruit from mature fruit trees, but they were still delicious.












This is my favorite and best tasting recipe on A Dessert a Week yet! This would be great served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.




Ingredients

  • 4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Ground cinnamon, optional
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
  • Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment