Friday, August 5, 2011

Fresh Fig Ice Cream


This recipe is from  David Lebovitz's ice cream book called The Perfect Scoop. I would love for someone to buy me this and send it to me as a present because I recently rediscovered my Kitchen-aid ice cream maker attachment, and I am in love. It is so easy to use, and takes only 15-20 minutes! I used a digital kitchen scale to weigh out my ingredients. 






It took me around 15-25 minutes to get my figs to the jam stage. I guess it depends on how much water your figs have in them, how big they are, etc.







My ice cream was ready 15 minutes after I put it in. To store, put into a container with plastic wrap on the inside touching the surface of the ice cream (to prevent freezer burn). Enjoy! What's your favorite homemade ice cream flavor?




Fresh Fig Ice Cream

  • 2 lbs fresh figs
  • 1/2 cup of water 
  • 1 lemon, preferably unsprayed 
  • 3/4 cup of sugar 
  • 1 cup of heavy cream 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of freshly squeezed, lemon juice, or more to taste
Directions
  • Remove the hard stem ends from the figs, then cut each fig into 8 pieces. Put the figs in a medium, nonreactive suacepan with the water, and zest the lemon directly into the saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8-1o minutes until the figs are tender. 
  • Remove the lid, add the sugar and continue to cook until it reaches a jam-like consistency. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Blend together with cream and lemon juice, chill in the fridge and then put in your ice cream maker per the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment