Thursday, June 23, 2011

Beach Lime Pie with Meringue


Well, I couldn't find key limes, so I had to get a bit creative with the name. I'm vacationing at Topsail (Top-sul) Island this week, and I thought that you couldn't get much beachier than a key lime pie. I didn't bring any prep tools or ingredients to the beach with me, which I discovered about an hour ago to be a MISTAKE. The beach house didn't have a juicer, so I hand squeezed all of the limes (not too difficult, just messy), I didn't have a measuring cup, so I had to guesstimate on the lime juice by filling half of a small juice glass with lime juice, (I mean, it said half a cup, right?) and I literally used "table spoons" to measure out the sugar for the meringue. At least I found a hand mixer in the back corner of the one of the cabinets! I didn't know how many limes would make 1/2 cup of lime juice, so I bought 6 limes, which was 3 limes over the limit; luckily, that gave me plenty of limes for decoration on top of the pie! Also, I made my life a whole lot easier and bought a pre-made graham crust (which I recommend if you are at the beach and want your life to be without stress). It would be pretty to mix a tablespoon of lime zest into the filling, but I couldn't find a zester. It still tastes awesome without it though! 




Sophia was extremely interested in the limes, and even tried to lick them until she realized they weren't peanut butter/chicken/other delicious treats she isn't supposed to eat. Then she wandered away.




Hand squeezing the limes weren't as bad as I expected. I mean, lime juice did go everywhere, but at least it didn't end up in my eyes. I've also heard rumors of an elusive product called key lime juice that would probably be good (but not as good as fresh squeezed limes) in the pie.Coincidentally, I toured a beach house on the south end of the island, and THEY had a zester, juicer, can opener, AND measuring spoons. We reserved that beach house for next year :)



My handy boyfriend managed to find some sort of tool that punches holes in cans, and I used that in place of a can opener, and it worked!





I would've liked if the pie filling came up higher in the pan; I might use an 8 inch crust next time, but that's just personal preference.



After baking, the pie should be firm in the center, and wiggly around the edges. 




I completely forgot to photograph the meringue process, but it really isn't difficult, and it only took me five minutes, tops.





My filling wasn't as set/chilled as I would've liked, but I'd already cut the piece by then. It was delicious though, and as I type this my family is preparing Philly Cheesesteaks, and the pie will be dessert tonight! Also, this pie took only 15 minutes to make in prep time.


Beach Lime Pie with Meringue
adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients


  • 5 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup key lime juice/juice of 3 or 4 regular limes
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 tablespoons granulated sugar

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  • Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked graham cracker shell.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
  • To make the meringue, in a large glass or metal bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
  • Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.


2 comments:

  1. What did you do with the extra egg white??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I threw it away, but if I'd been thinking, I would've just made a meringue with 5 egg whites and 7 or 7 1/2 tablespoons of sugar to avoid wasting it.

    ReplyDelete