Saturday, October 15, 2011

Candy Corn Gelatin with Grand Marnier


IT'S ALMOST HALLOWEEN! Well, kind of. Halloween is two weeks and two days away! I have already changed my Halloween costume plans four times: Alice in Wonderland, Ke$ha, vampire, dark angel. Who knows. My family throws a HUGE Halloween party, so I'll be sure to post some adorable craft ideas in the next few days as well. And as y'all all know, candy corn is the epitome of  Halloween. I had so many ideas involving candy corn, but I didn't want to get too carried away, so I picked the best one. The orange layer has Grand Marnier, but feel free to take it out. The Grand Marnier gave the dessert a deeper, more complex citrus flavor. This recipe is best made in adorable 8 oz glasses (which neither I or Wal-mart had), so I had to use slightly larger glasses and larger quantities.  



This recipe was so easy. You simply layer the jello one layer at a time, and chill in the refrigerator for about twenty minutes each time. And if you leave it in there longer, it's okay! After the layers had set, I whipped up some whipped cream (I whipped about half a cup of heavy cream, a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar, and a dash of vanilla extract). I like my whipped cream very sweet, so edit it to your tastes. 



For the photographs, I piped my whipped cream onto the gelatin, but it looks equally pretty if you dollop a spoonful on top. Just throw on some candy corn, and you're good to go!




This is definitely going to be one of my easy go-to Halloween recipes from now on. Feel free to experiment! I have a lot of vintage Jello molds, and I used two to see how this recipe would work in them. To loosen jello from the molds, be sure to spray them lightly with cooking spray before, then place bottom of mold in warm water. They will then come out easily.







One of my jello molds!



Candy Corn Gelatin with Grand Marnier
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients
  • 2 packages (3 ounces each) lemon gelatin
  • 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
  • 2 T Grand Marnier or to taste (optional)
  • Whipped cream, for garnish
  • Candy corn, for garnish



Directions
  • Prepare lemon gelatin according to package directions. Set aside in a medium bowl to cool. Prepare orange gelatin. Set aside in a medium bowl to cool.
  • Pour half of lemon gelatin into a measuring cup; divide among eight 8-ounce glasses. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.
  • Remove glasses from refrigerator. Divide orange gelatin among glasses, pouring on top of lemon gelatin.Return glasses to refrigerator, and chill until orange gelatin is set, about 20 minutes.
  • Remove glasses from refrigerator. Divide remaining lemon gelatin among glasses. Return to refrigerator, and chill until lemon gelatin is set, about 20 minutes. Just before serving, spoon a dollop of whipped cream on each serving, and garnish with candy corn.



No comments:

Post a Comment